|song by Dua Lipa|
|from the album Future Nostalgia|
|Released||27 March 2020|
|Format||Digital download |
|Songwriter(s)||Dua Lipa |
Clarence Coffee Jr.
(27 March 2020)
"Levitating" is a song by English singer Dua Lipa from her second studio album Future Nostalgia (2020), where it serves as the album's fifth track.
"Levitating" was written in a studio session between Lipa, Clarence Coffee Jr., Sarah Hudson and Stephen Kozmeniuk where they were inspired by ordering doughnuts and "levitating" because of how much sugar they had.
Lipa stated that the song helped dictate what the rest of Future Nostalgia would sound like and it was the first time where "everything made sense" and where she captured both the "future" and "nostalgia" elements.
"Levitating" is an electro-disco, space rock, dance-rock and power pop song that contains elements of 90s R&B. The song was composed in the key of F♯ minor with a tempo of 103 beats per minute. It has many outer space references as well as a Blondie influenced rap in the bridge.
The song features "lush" verses and "electrifying" choruses, described as "euphoric," "utterly blissful," and "straight-out-of-the-‘90s". It's production includes "bizarre" and "wonky" synths, a rubbery bassline, syncopated handclaps, "funky" guitars, talkbox vocals, "funky" synth-beats, disco strings, "funky" riffs, vocoder-heaving backing vocals, "campy" disco trobes and a "squelchy" bass.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from Tidal.
- Dua Lipa – vocals, songwriting
- Koz – production, vocal production, songwriting, bass, drums, guitar, synthesizer
- Stuart Price – production, bass, drum programming, keyboards
- Clarence Coffee Jr. – songwriting, backing vocals
- Sarah Hudson – songwriting, backing vocals
- Paul Phamous – backing vocals
- Todd Clark – backing vocals
- Russell Graham – keyboards
- Bosko Electrospit Kante – talkbox
- Lorna Blackwood – additional vocal recording engineering, programming
- Matt Snell – engineering
- Phil Hotz – assistant engineering
- Cameron Gower Poole – vocal engineering
- Josh Gudwin – mixing
- Elijah Marrett-Hitch – assistant mixing
- Chris Gehringer – mastering
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||29|
|New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ)||6|
|Slovakia (Singles Digitál Top 100)||62|
|UK Streaming (Official Charts Company)||51|
|Various||27 March 2020||Digital download