|Last appearance||Underworld: Blood Wars|
|Created by||Kevin Grevioux |
|Portrayed by||Scott Speedman (1-2) |
Trent Garrett (5)
|Voiced by||Mark Oliver|
|Species||Human (formerly) |
|Occupation||Unemployed fugitive |
Former medical intern
|Family||Alexander Corvinus |
(distant granduncle, deceased)
(distant granduncle, deceased)
(distant grandfather, deceased)
(daughter, with Selene)
Michael Corvin (in Hungarian: Corvin Mihály) is a fictional character from the Underworld series. He also appears in the novelizations of these films. He is portrayed by Scott Speedman in the first two films, as well as Trent Garrett through motion capture and prosthetics in Underworld: Blood Wars and voiced by Mark Oliver in Underworld: Endless War. He is the first Vampire/Lycan Hybrid from the mythos.
Little is mentioned in the first installment about Michael's immediate family history, past and background, but his ancient family history, the legacy of his ancient ancestor, Alexander Corvinus, plays more of a crucial plot device in the franchise.
Described in the novelizations as "compassionate" and a "born healer," Michael began studying medicine around the age of 20. He was an aspiring young 28-year-old doctor and trauma surgeon by the events of the first film.
A few years before the events of the first film, Michael had been engaged to a woman named Samantha, before she died in a tragic car crash, leaving Michael devastated, as he did not possess the type of medical training to treat her injuries before help could arrive. In the first installment, he insisted that he had no doubt in his mind that if he had known back then what he knew now that he could have saved her.
After the tragedy, Michael focused his efforts into specialising in trauma surgery and, a few years after the crash, Michael obtained his medical degree and decided to take off and relocate to Budapest, Hungary, remembering the summer he had once spent there with his grandfather. According to the novelization, Michael had only been in Budapest for a matter of months before the events in the first film.
Michael is a less complicated person than Selene. At the beginning of the events of the first film, Michael seems to be living a very stale and routine life. Adam, one of his fellow interns and fellow Americans at the hospital, says when asked about Michael, "He comes in. He does his job. And then he goes home. Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you. Interns pretty much work round the clock. We don't have much of a life."
According to the novelizations, in his spare time, Michael reads fiction, mainly mysteries and thrillers. When she searches his apartment, Selene sees a fiction book and an English–Hungarian dictionary amongst his medical texts.
Both of Michael's paternal grandparents originally came from Hungary, before migrating to America in the 1940s after the events of World War II. Michael himself was born sometime in 1975. As a kid, his grandfather had once taken him on a summer vacation to Hungary. According to the Underworld novelization, prior to moving to Hungary, he had lived in Long Island and still had friends there.
In the novelizations, he is described as a "born healer"; he took up medicine at around the age of 20. According to the novelizations, Michael once had a summer job as a lifeguard at Coney Island, as the training saved his and Selene's lives after they'd crashed into the Danube River, after Selene passed out from heavy blood loss. He also seems to have had some prior experience with mechanics, as he was able to get an old SUV working in the second installment.
At some point, a few years before the events of the first film, he was engaged to a woman called Samantha, who later died after a car accident.
After the tragedy, Michael focused his efforts into specializing in the field of Trauma surgery and, after obtaining his Medical degree, a few years after the crash, decided to take off and relocate to Budapest, Hungary, after remembering the summer he had once spent there with his grandfather. After the accident, he "didn't see a reason to stick around" (alluding that his parents and grandparents are all dead); he decided to relocate to Hungary in an effort to start over. In his own words, "to move on, to forget".
He took up residency as an interning trauma surgeon at the Saint Istvan hospital in Budapest. According to the novelization, the hospital Michael's residency was at was the Karolyi Hospital, and he had only been in Budapest for a matter of months before the events in the first film.
In the events of the first film, Michael is repeatedly caught in the middle of a conflict between vampire Death Dealers and Lycans, as his blood might hold a rare genetic trait needed by the Lycans for a hybrid experiment. Despite the help of Selene, he is bitten by the Lycan leader Lucian. This sets him on the path to become a Lycan, and allows Lucian to gain a blood sample to confirm that Michael has a rare genetic trait for immortality. Selene and Michael work together to evade the Lycans, and understand Michael's significance to the conflict. He is eventually captured by the Lycans, who take him to Lucian.
Michael is finally able to understand what motivates Lucian in the war, in part because Lucian's memories were passed on to Michael when he bit him. Selene and the death dealers interrupt the meeting, and in the commotion Michael is shot with a lethal amount of silver nitrate bullets by Selene's jealous suitor, Kraven. This would normally kill a Lycan, but Selene bites Michael, saving his life by transforming Michael into the first Hybrid. |Viktor fights Michael, having been against the creation of a hybrid in addition to wanting to eliminate other descendants of Alexander Corvinus. Viktor and Michael fight; Viktor eventually gets the upper hand and beats Michael, almost strangling him to death. Viktor is stopped when Selene intervenes, killing him with his own sword. She and Michael leave, enemies of both species.
In the second film, Selene and Michael are on the run from both Lycans and Vampires. Michael learns to master his power. The duo confronts the last Vampire Elder, Markus Corvinus, and narrowly manage to escape him. They also encounter the vampire historian Andreas Tanis, and through him, Michael learns more of his familial connections with the Vampire and Lycan races. They investigate a cargo ship where Michael encounters his forefather, Alexander Corvinus. Michael is attacked by Markus who beats him and then impales Michael on a steel pole beneath a nearby dock. Michael originally appears to die, but eventually, his powers and Selene's blood heals him and he joins the fight against Markus and William. Michael manages to kill William by ripping his head apart and Selene kills Markus.
In Underworld: Awakening, Michael and Selene are captured and held captive for twelve years while Selene gives birth to their daughter Eve. Eventually Selene escapes and rescues Eve. During the rescue, she finds Michael trapped in a cryo-chamber and shoots the glass to weaken it. When Selene and Eve return, Michael has escaped and they are unable to find him.
Underworld: Blood Wars
After escaping the Antigen facility, Michael is captured by the Lycan Marius. Michael's blood is drained to temporarily give Marius powers. Selene believes Michael to be dead after witnessing Marius' blood memories of the event.
Skills and Hybrid abilities
As a human, Michael possessed a great deal of medical knowledge due to his training to become a doctor. After being transformed into a hybrid, Michael gained many powerful abilities. In Evolution, Selene tells Michael that there has never been a hybrid before and as such, his power could be "limitless."
- Blood Sorting: After being bitten by Lucian, Michael gained access to some of his blood memories that he was able to view over time during Underworld.
- Shapeshifting: Michael possesses the ability to shift between his human appearance and his more bestial hybrid form.
- Superhuman Endurance: Whether he is in his Hybrid form or human form, Michael can withstand several gunshots and still have enough strength to fight. After adapting to his new status, he is able to withstand several powerful blows from Immortal Elders Markus and William on separate fights, the latter whose raw strength is enough to shatter solid stone.
- Superhuman Strength: In human form, Michael is able to fully stop a truck that had just initiated its brakes, can break steel chains, and rip a first aid kit box from a wall. When changed to his Hybrid form, Michael's strength increases significantly. He holds his ground against Viktor, a centuries-old Vampire Elder, in physical combat immediately following the transformation, taking the Elder by surprise with his incredible strength (combined with his equally impressive speed) before ultimately falling prey to Viktor's much greater combat experience and far superior battle technique. Although Michael is one of the most physically powerful beings of the series, his lack of combat experience tends to put him at a disadvantage when facing particularly experienced combatants, though his raw strength, coupled with his speed and rage, is often enough to compensate for this when facing the average Vampire or Lycan; Viktor is the only non-Hybrid being that Michael couldn't defeat due to Viktor's vast combat experience as an Elder Vampire. He can also punch through a Werewolf's chest with ease. His strength is so great that he is able to kill William, the first Werewolf in existence (who had been weakened by centuries without sustenance), by tearing his head in half with his bare hands, despite having recently recovered from being impaled by Markus. He also holds his own against another Hybrid, Markus, despite the latter's status as the eldest of the Vampires.
- Superhuman Healing: Michael possesses an extremely potent healing ability as seen when he was impaled through the chest by Markus Corvinus and died only to regenerate and come back to life on his own a few hours later.
- Superhuman Speed: Due to him being a Hybrid, Michael's speed greatly exceeds both Lycan and Vampire, allowing him to move faster than the eye can see, and can move several metres in less than a second, in a manner akin to teleportation.
- Superhuman Agility: Michael can jump higher and move more athletically than both Vampires or Lycans.
- Sensory Synchronization: He and his daughter can perceive through each other psychically, as well as sense each other's presence as seen at the end of Awakening.