|Developer(s)||High Voltage Software|
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter (Wii) |
Third-person shooter (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows)
The Grinder is an unreleased first person shooter video game for the Wii, and a top-down shooter for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows by High Voltage Software.
The game failed to meet its original release date of the fall of 2011, and has since remained unreleased. Although High Voltage Software has yet to make an official statement about what had happened to the game, the game is no longer in development and mostly considered to be unofficially cancelled.
In an alternate universe, mythical creatures such as vampires, werewolves and zombies are a reality, and the people of Earth have adapted to their presence. A small group of monster hunters, comprising Hector, Doc, Miko and AJ, are hired by the mysterious organization called "Book" to exterminate these threats while investigating the source of the outbreak.
In The Grinder, players control one of four characters, each with their own unique attributes which can be upgraded as the game progresses. Players will have to use different techniques to defeat certain foes, and will have access to a large number of weapons, some of which can be dual wielded. The game will also offer players complete customization of its controls, and is stated to support Wii MotionPlus.
An online multiplayer mode will be included in The Grinder, and each level can be played online cooperatively, with support of up to four players simultaneously, and will have multiple routes.
At the 2010 Game Developers Conference, it was revealed that the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC versions of the game would be a top-down shooter, rather than a first-person shooter.
The characters described below are based on the original Wii version; their personalities and ethnicities were changed for the top-down versions of the game.
- Hector: A Mexican bounty hunter who has tracked targets on both sides of the border. Hector is boastful, arrogant and greedy. He used to be a professional hunter, but has annoyed so many people over the years that he cannot get a job with any of the professional companies.
- Doc: He wants to figure out what makes the monsters tick. Doc was a hunter for years but he left the life behind years ago when a mission went very badly. Since then, he has been working as an underground doctor.
- Miko: Miko is a Japanese assassin looking for a new challenge. She was getting bored with her job, until the night one of her targets turned out to be a werewolf. Despite nearly getting killed, she found the battle exhilarating and immediately set out to take down more monsters.
- AJ: An urban explorer who had a very bad experience and is looking for revenge. AJ is the sole survivor of a Slasher attack. She knows that it is only a matter of time before the unkillable monster that slaughtered her sorority sisters on a weekend camping trip catches up with her to finish the job.
- Book: The secretive contact responsible for hiring the four hunters to control the outbreak.