|"Writer in the Dark"|
|Song by Lorde|
|from the album Melodrama|
|Recorded||at Electric Lady (New York)|
|Songwriter(s)||Ella Yelich-O'Connor |
|Writer in the Dark
"Writer in the Dark" is a song recorded by New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde for her second album Melodrama (2017).
Lorde co-wrote and co-produced the track with Jack Antonoff. It is a piano ballad with sparse production and an outro. The song was inspired after Lorde woke up late one night with a stranger; its lyrics are Lorde's lament to an ex-lover, in which she says she will always love him but she also needs to move her life forwards.
"Writer in the Dark" was co-written and co-produced by Lorde (credited under her birth-name Ella Yelich-O'Connor) and Jack Antonoff. It was recorded at Electric Lady Studios in Greenwich Village, New York City.
The song is composed in the key of G major with a walking pace tempo of 72 beats per minute while Lorde's vocals span a range of D3 to D5. It is a piano ballad with sparse instrumentation in its production.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Melodrama
- Published by Songs Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Songs, LLC, Ducky Donath Music (BMI)
- Recorded at Electric Lady Studios (New York City)
- Mixed at Electric Lady Studios
- Mastered at Sterling Sound Studios (New York City)
- Lorde – vocals, songwriting, production
- Jack Antonoff – production, songwriting
- Brandon Bost – mixing assistance
- Tom Elmhirst – mixing
- Randy Merrill – mastering
- Barry McCready – engineering assistance
- Seth Paris – engineering assistance
- Greg Eliason – engineering assistance
- Laura – engineering
|New Zealand Artist Singles (RMNZ)||7|
|New Zealand Heatseekers (RMNZ)||2|